Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Vashon Island Sew Day trip


My Sew Day group went on its annual holiday trip last weekend. This year we went to Island Quilter on Vashon Island. Island Quilter stocks every single Kaffe Fassett fabric, if not in the store then online. We needed that color shot, because look at the weather here -- not a speck of sun on the horizon:


Inside the store, it was cozy and colorful. Almost all of us bought some of this fabric ...


... which reminded me of this card from my quilting friend Sheila. I've been looking at the card for a month, channeling inspiration for my next quilt.


Then we headed to the Hardware Store, an always bustling restaurant in the center of town. Besides lunch (actually, we all had breakfast food), we exchanged gifts and revealed our row-by-rows.


I won't show all the gifts, but here are two handmade ones. Linda P. wrapped luxury soaps in wool roving and felted them. If you google "felted soaps" you can read all about the process. You scrub yourself with the wrapped bar, and as the soap is used up, the wool keeps shrinking to stay snug. It's antibacterial and also exfoliates.


Linda J. crocheted doilies, each in a different design. I'm going to use mine under a candle.


For the row-by-row challenge, we each made one row to start in the beginning of last year. Then we sent them around to each of the other four along with coordinating fabric and instructions for a general theme. You didn't get to see any of the rows being made for your quilt until the big reveal at the Hardware Store. They turned out great!


I started mine with a row of log cabins in red, green and white. I specified a Christmas/winter theme, and I'm so pleased with what I got back! I can't wait to finish the quilt.


I took pictures of the other rows in the middle of our restaurant table, so I didn't get very good overall views, but you can get the idea.




And, since it's me, you know there will be a food picture. This is Nancy's pancake, which the kitchen  decorated by laying a fork on the pancake and sprinkling powdered sugar around it. I had French toast with a peach/blueberry compote. Delicious!


Then it was back onto the ferry for the 15-minute ride across the water to Tacoma, and then a drive over the Tacoma Narrows Bridge to take me home.

Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Robbie said...

First off, the row by rows are fantastic! Each one is some unique and wonderful!!!! I used to enjoy doing these with our quilt guild, which I no longer attend! This could entice me to join up again! HA

Love the pancake! How clever using the fork for a stencil!!!

Vivian Helena said...

Hi , thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. Love your row by row. I have a Christmas one, somewhere. I might even find it as I try to unravel the studio. Love reading your blog. New Years Res to keep better at blogging. You are making me hungry.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, love all those wonderful bright cheery colors at the quilt shop! Kaffe Fassett fabrics make gorgeous bowls.
I haven't tried felting soaps yet, but sure have a lot of wool roving, so maybe I'll try that this year. I have a friend who makes soaps, and I have one of her bars...
The Doilies remind me of a period back in the late 80's when I decided to try making some. Still have 'em! And I love your row by row... that will make a lovely Christmas quilt.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I blush :-) but am so happy the card continues to inspire. I definitely would have bought some of that fabric too. Just love your challenge quilt, especially the row of gift boxes! I took part in a challenge like this with my WI quilting friends and just like your group, each quilt was so different and so challenged each of us to do something we might not normally do, and every single quilt was spectacular!

That soap wrapped in wool roving is such an intriguing idea. Quick, somebody gift me one - lol!