Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Team Tucson!


When a friend from quilt guild found out that I was considering moving to Tucson, she threw together a little luncheon last week with other people who had lived there. They were all so encouraging of me moving there to start a new life with the sun and desert mountains, so I'm calling them:

Team Tucson!


Janet set the table in a desert theme and even wore saguaro socks!


She was born in Tucson, so it was no surprise to see this gorgeous Southwest table runner that she made.


The women who had lived there talked of the magic of moonlight hiking in Sabino Canyon, desert wildflowers, the prolific desert birdsong and the beautiful mountains that surround the city.


I've always felt a strong pull from the desert, and a lot of my quilts reflect that. Here are some that were inspired by the clear colors of desert light.







Getting back to the luncheon, I forgot to get food photos but it was a delicious meal of butternut squash soup and turkey bacon BLTs -- perfect for a chilly rainy day. Dessert by Yvonne was layers of graham cracker crumbs, pudding, whipped cream and cherries in clear glasses. 


Janet gave us a tour of her she shed, which has a large wall lined with labeled categorized fabric. Actually, it's a she shed/he shed because her husband has a separate room for his workshop and there's a couch and TV in the middle that they can share. It's totally separate from the house and I loved it!



Back at my house, I had to shovel fir needles away from the driveway drains where heavy rain had swirled them into dikes that kept the rain from reaching the drains.



Have a colorful day

6 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, that sounds like it was a shot in the arm for you! I'm anxious to hear what you decide, once you have done your exploratory trip!

Lynda said...

Wow! That is so neat to have a support system already there if and when you make your decision. I'm excited for you on this new chapter regardless of where you end up.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

What a group of fun friends you have!! Certainly this had to be encouragement to go try a new place and a fresh start. I'm looking forward to that myself.
xx, Carol

Unknown said...

What a wonderful supportive network you have. Love the picture of the pine needles swirling the drain. It looks like a little nest.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Bless that guild member. What a fantastic idea!

And I'd been wondering if your head was above water. If all you have to deal with is needles around your drains, you are lucky indeed.

Robbie said...

How delightful and so nice of your Team Tucson!!!! Love all the southwest decor! I love AZ.....would have been my first choice for winter if not for my hubby...you will be so happy there!!! And with this 'team' behind and in front of you...it will be a wonderful venture!!!!
p.s. remember those food pics next time. ha ha ha