Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Colors of Mexican Talavera in Tucson


Ever since I moved to Tucson, I've been wanting to get some colorful Mexican Talavera pots for my courtyard. Imagine my excitement when I googled "talavera tucson" and found a huge selection of the pots just a few minutes down the road from me at The Happy Saguaro!


And not just pots, but

BUNNIES


and kitchenware



and even sinks!


Plus it has a big selection of textiles, including bright embroidered table runners, pillows and clothing.






Here's a Wikipedia description of the pottery:

Talavera pottery is a Mexican and Spanish pottery tradition from Talavera de la Reina, in Spain. The Mexican pottery is a type of majolica or tin-glazed earthenware, with a white base glaze typical of the type. It comes from the town of San Pablo del Monte (in Tlaxcala) and the cities of Puebla, Atlixco, Cholula, and Tecali (these four latter in the state of Puebla), because of the quality of the natural clay found there and the tradition of production which goes back to the 16th century. Much of this pottery was decorated only in blue, but colors such as yellow, black, green, orange, and mauve have also been used.

Here's a closeup of one of the pieces at The Happy Saguaro. The paint is raised, creating a nice, rich textured feel.


On my walk today, I snapped this picture of a Mexican Bird of Paradise, which picks up the vibrant colors of so many of the Talavera pieces. I also want to get one of these for my yard.


So, you ask, what did I buy? Nothing -- yet. I was so overwhelmed by the selection and the heat (much of it is outside, where it was 99 degrees and rapidly rising) that I just wandered and took pictures. But the prices are very reasonable, so once I decide what size pots I want I'll go back. And I can easily see myself getting sucked into some kitchenware and maybe an embroidered blouse, and then gifts for family and friends ...

Have a colorful day

5 comments:

Robbie said...

I love this pottery!!!! And the other items look just as interesting!!! The bunnies are ADORABLE!!!! Have you followed Roberta Warshaw's work? She has an Instagram site (https://www.instagram.com/robertawarshawart/) and a web site/blog (http://www.robertawarshawdesign.com/). She's in Tucson, AZ...you two would get along...she's been doing beautiful stamping and paintings lately. check her out!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh dear . . . lol

Yup, that synopsis at the end of what you might buy on return trips is exactly what I was thinking. :-)

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Oh, my! I love Talavera pottery! I've had a couple of bowls I bought years ago from a gal who used to go where they're made every year, and they are great for serving side dishes... so bright and colorful! If I EVER get down to see you, we'll have to go there! Right up our alleys, right?
Definitely getting hot up here now... June is the hottest month for us, and I'm sure you will be getting hotter before it cools off. Hope your new plants are surviving, not to mention you! We've been getting some lovely clouds the past few days, but barely a spit now and then from them... but soon the rains will come!

Janice Smith said...

Oh what wonderful color!!! No wonder you were overwhelmed, and I love the name of the store :-()
Have fun deciding and then shopping!

lorrwill said...

Oo Oo!! So that is what this style is called. My apartment manager has some of the salamanders in some of the landscaping and some birds on one of the fences. I just went window shopping on their website and all I can say it I admire your restraint in not grabbing anything while you were there!!!