Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, June 12, 2020

Wildfire evacuations ordered


My woe-is-me post from Wednesday about being lonely and not having anyone to hang out with suddenly changed to a freakout over the wildfire that has exploded in the past week practically in my backyard. 

When I woke up yesterday, I had a phone alert about neighborhoods ordered to evacuate. I thought I was in the evacuation zone and I totally panicked, then I realized that there are two First streets/avenues in Tucson and that the one bordering the evacuation zone was not the one near me.

But still ... it's pretty close.



The area just across the highway from me is in the area that has been placed on alert for potential evacuation. I think the highway will keep me safe, but I packed a bag and filled the car with gas just in case.


On my way back from the gas station, this is what I saw -- massive piles of smoke from the fires north of Ina Road. Today the wind shifted and brought the fire and smoke back to my part of town in Oro Valley. All day long the helicopters and firefighting planes have been buzzing past my back windows. 


More than 7,000 acres have been burned, and the fire is only 10 percent contained. Hot Shot crews from around the country are helping fight the fire, along with air brigades.



I can't imagine how the firefighters must feel wearing full fire gear in temperatures over 100 degrees. My hat is off to them, and to the Red Cross which set up an evacuation center in a nearby high school.


By the way, thank you to everyone who wrote to me after my last post. It was so good to hear how others are handling the coronavirus shutdowns. I made a list of all the advice and I'm going to use it! Namaste.

Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I know that scared feeling, panicking and worrying will we get out and will the fire burn our house. We only have one way out of the area, and when they finally did let us know to evacuate, so many people had animals they had to relocate and we all had to take the same highway to town. The smoke billowing over the peaks was enormous and the fire was very loud, roaring across the east side of the peaks.
I'm praying the wind dies down or at least shifts away from your area, but rain would be a blessing...
I saw in a news item you have the Type 1 crew there now, and they are the best of the best. Fingers crossed you will be able to stay in your home and unpack your bag soon!

Donna said...

Please keep posting. You are on my mind and I'm sending good thoughts and hope for your safety.

lorrwill said...

Please stay safe Sherrie! This is very troubling. I hope everything is going to be okay. I will be thinking about you.

Robbie said...

Wow...I'm just getting caught up on some blog posts...I think I saw one of yours earlier this week but need to double check. Stay safe my friend and I know you're keeping alert!!!