Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Fire, flowers, desert dishes, and a new quilt

Smoke over the Santa Catalina Mountains
during my morning walk today.
I owe you an update on the fire, since when I last wrote my bags were packed for possible evacuation. It's grown to more than 31,000 acres in the 13 days that it's been burning, fueled by hot, dry air and high winds. I'm on the western edge, which is now relatively safe because I'm buffered by a highway. The main fire has blown east, threatening the popular Sabino Canyon hiking area. Mt. Lemmon was evacuated yesterday -- the red area in the map surrounded by white dotted lines.

I live on the western side just across the orange highway from the green area. Green means to be on alert. Yellow means have those bags packed and consider voluntary evacuation. And red means go now! It's called "Ready, Set, Go!" I still have my hand stitching and a pillow in the car, but my suitcase has moved back inside so I can use what's in it.



Photos taken at night are more dramatic, and here's one from a Facebook Tucson group:


The firefighters -- more than 700 -- are doing a terrific job of keeping structures and people safe as they battle the flames in temperatures that have soared above 100 nearly every day. It's hard enough to stand in the shade for 30 seconds in those temps, let alone be right by the flames wearing full protective gear and carrying heavy packs.


In other news, I've added some color to my yard with flowering plants. When I moved in, this stone planter in my backyard was empty except for dirt. I added the bottlebrush tree (which lost its red blooms after it was planted) and red, orange and purple lantana. Here's a closeup of the lantana, which loves the desert sun.


Here's a bottlebrush bush (not the tree), which is right outside my bedroom window and is always buzzing with bees and hummingbirds.


AND I ADDED HOT PINK
BOUGAINVILLEA! 

I've always wanted bougainvillea, but I never lived where it would grow before. I can't wait until it bushes out and fills the view from my living room window.


I replaced my melamine beach dishes with a set of desert ones that I found online -- on sale! -- at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I left the beach ones with the Feet & Forks.




And I finally sat down at the sewing machine to start piecing the "Letters From Home" quilt. The colors are basically the same as the dishes.



So that's it for now. Today I'm hunkering down in the AC with my sewing machine and watermelon. Hope all of you have had a good week. 


 Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Robbie said...

So glad to hear you're safe and sound and back at it! Love the dishes!!! And your quilt is really a fun one! colors are great!!!! And the lantana plant is wonderful! How cool!!!! Stay safe and enjoy that AC!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the plants, the dishes are wonderful, and the quilt is lovely... beautiful fabrics and they do match the dishes! Your new plants are great, bet you get to do a lot of watering right now. I've actually started throwing water on some of mine since it's been so dry, and I planted some Nasturtium seeds the other day as well as transplanted a cherry tomato plant that I finally put outside. I'm thinking it's time I found a handy man to do some of the yard cleanup... no time, and just more than I want to deal with right now. I must be getting old, either that or just want to do other things!
I am glad you're back in the "green" section re: the fires, and I'm also glad you found a group on facebook for locals! I have one I belong to for our general neighborhood... I may never meet the folks in person, but we share a lot of local news I wouldn't otherwise know about.
Stay cool, and hopefully those wonderful firefighters will get a handle on the fire soon! I'm with you - it's way too hot for them to have to be out there in all that equipment!

Janice Smith said...

I am so glad you posted an update on the fire situation and that you are safe. God bless those battling the fire. The photos are incredible.
Your new plantings are lovely and your new quilt looks like fun.

I have been doing a great deal of hand stitching and mask making, but after a “Sit and Sew and Show and Tell” visit with my talented friends I have been inspired to get busy finishing a quilt that I have been working on. If interested, you can see photos of the show and tell On my blog . . .

https://apositiveoutlook-janice.blogspot.com

My frIend Maribeth’s chandelier quilt is worth a look. :-)

Stay safe. Stay strong.

Lynda said...

Love the bottlebrush tree. Never seen one of those. I've tried the Lantanas years ago and they just don't like it here. Love your new dishes. Perfect for your new home! Really love the quilt too. Looks like you are settling in.