Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

First quilt finish of the year

I'm looking for things to do inside because I can't drive anywhere (the sling thing) and it's been raining for three days.

So I finished the "Green Desert" quilt that I started a year or two ago. I had planned to do some big hand stitching in the borders, but my arthritis won't allow that so I called it good enough. Since I also couldn't hand sew the hanging sleeve, I fused it on! Then I fused a label on the back, dug out a hanging stick that's just the right length, and now I just have to wait until someone can come over and help hang it since I can't move my right elbow away from my waist. I cannot wait to be fully functioning again!


The four-inch squares are mini collages representing the blue sky and green growth of the Sonoran Desert. Those are mountain foothills covered in rabbitbrush, creosote, juniper, yucca, barrel cactuses, prickly pear, palo verde trees, mesquite, desert grasses, ocotillo, cholla and, biggest of all, the tall saguaro cactuses.



I also decided that the "Sun" spirit doll needed a belt:


When I did all I could in the sewing room, I got bored and ended up making brownies in the evening because I couldn't find anything good to watch and I had finished my last library book. (Have to wait for that friend to drive me to the library to stock up. I'll never take driving for granted again.)

The heavy rain flooded my favorite hiking area, Catalina State Park. It's been closed all week but they hope to reopen in tomorrow. Three hundred campers are stranded there!

Yesterday I got out for a quick walk in between down pours. Here's what it looked like from my neighborhood looking at the Catalinas. I can't believe I have such awesome scenery just beyond my house!

Have a colorful day


1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Congrats on finishing the quilt! It must be frustrating to not be able to do all the things you love, but I'm hoping the sling will become a thing of the past for you soon. And it looks like there will be a warmer drier period coming up soon, at least up north and hopefully for you there too.