Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Quilts in situ



I got tired of looking at the same old quilts on my walls, so I swapped out a few over the weekend with help from a friend since my arm is still useless.

I replaced a basket quilt with the one on the far left, which I made way back in 1992. It's in my cutting table/craft room (which is supposed to be a dining room). I called it "Storm Trackers" but it's the traditional Hole In the Barn Door or Churn Dash pattern.

I had just started to paint fabric then, and I made this almost completely with my painted fabric. I quilted it with gold thread in a swirling pattern, like wind in a storm.


I hung this wonky log cabin in my bedroom where I can see it as soon as I wake up. It's also mostly from my hand pained fabric and was inspired by the rich colors of Sedona ... blue skies, red rocks, sunshine, green high desert pines and desert shrubs and the majestic purple sunsets. I made it back in 2016 and called it, naturally, "Sedona." I quilted it with gold thread in a windy pattern. The gold patches in the orange centers are foil that I ironed on -- Sedona sunshine!


I hung my latest quilt (see previous post), "Green Desert," in the bathroom. It's nicer to look at than a plain white wall. The blues and greens are peaceful to look at.


This next picture has nothing to do with quilts, but it's an update on the stranded campers I told you about last week. They were stuck in Catalina State Park (where I hike) for five days because the road out was flooded and below the water was about five feet of mud and quicksand. After five days the park finally was able to clear a path, and this photo shows one of the vehicles leaving on Friday. You can see the piles of earth pushed off to the sides.

And last, here is another gorgeous desert sunset from the weekend as viewed from my front door! I'm so grateful to live here.


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a bright workroom and the colorful quilts on the wall are so you! Love seeing the other quilts as you have hung them around your house

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love all the colors in your quilts! Actually, the last photo might inspire a new one, lol! Thanks for sharing your new wall displays - doesn't matter that they were made awhile ago, they look fresh and brighten up your rooms!