Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Winter and spring spirit dolls


I'm churning out spirit dolls now that I can't drive anywhere. I guess that's one way to be forced to refocus. I'm "branching out" into more shapes and finding that I like the movement implied. This first doll is made from felted wool (another difference from the old dolls) with a flowing dress. She's definitely winter. 



Here's another winter one, also with a flowing dress. The true color is somewhere between these two photos, which were taken in different light. I layered lots of cream colored fabric and held them down with sweeping lines of quilting.



But my favorite color is the bright green of spring! I haven't figured out what to call this first one with the big X on a pool of blue.

I made the spring dolls by layering lots of different fabrics -- one of my favorite techniques.

Check out Nina-Marie's blog to see what other fabric artists have been up to this past week.


On an unrelated note -- do any of you still have high school dreams? I had the recurring one last night where I couldn't remember my schedule or where I was supposed to report for class, couldn't remember my locker number and couldn't remember my locker combination! And the ladies in the office couldn't help me! It's been 50 years since I graduated from high school -- why am I still having this dream?!!!

Have a colorful day


7 comments:

Marybeth said...

Awe... the locker dream, yes at age 78 I still have them. Often mind morph into which floor my room in on, where is the combo for the room/locker and who are the people living in my last years room? I never wake up frighten or fretful but they are weird! Love the dolls - never can pick a favorite. How is your recovery from surgery going?

The Idaho Beauty said...

It's been awhile but yes, I've had that can't remember my locker number dream as well as not being able to find a classroom. And occasionally the dream will be about classmates specifically, interacting etc in ways that never really happened. I'd say there's some deep psychological meaning there!

I just love the winter spirit dolls. You know me - I love winter when everything dies or hibernates, rather dread spring when all those pollens stuff up my nose and the bugs return!

sonja said...

I recall those " i can't remember high school locker combos nightmares"! they have been replaced by other anxiety dreams series that consist of the many ways "i can't get set up at my art display table for sales! left in the car, can't find where i parked, it is late afternoon and still not ready, time to pack up but i never found boxes or set up or the car "....very frustrating . sometimes i even try to back to sleep to fix it.... not a great way to get a goodnight sleep! ACK!
i like those spirit gals in gowns. the layer of cloth and stitch creating great texture in their dresses. those winter whites are great. hope you can drive soon.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I don't remember the locker number, but I remember the combo of my Jr. High locker! Can't say as I've ever had a school dream... if I had, it's long gone!

Love the new Spirit dolls - you have made so many and they're stinkin' cute! Glad to know you're still making them.

Jody said...

I love your winter and spring dolls. Looking forward to seeing where this new direction leads you.

I don't dream of high school but I do have dreams that recur from that time period. Weird because that is so long ago.

Hope your shoulder is healing well!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Jody, you're a "no reply" blogger so I couldn't answer you personally, but thanks for your comment! It's weird that so many of us still have high school dreams. -- Sherrie

Robbie said...

You should pick up a dream book from the library...or Google...interesting about high school dreams! HA