Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, February 4, 2023

Enjoying the sun

 

We've had really nice weather the last few days, so I've been soaking up the sun. The geraniums on my front porch are also loving it!

Last night's sunset from my front porch was spectacular. Those are the Tucson Mountains on the horizon, and I was hiking there earlier in the day.


Here are some photos from that hike. There are a LOT of saguaros in the Tucson Mountains, and I think they each have a unique personality. The short one in the center looks like he's lecturing the others. 

It was windy but brisk and sunny, perfect for hiking because we didn't get too sweaty. We had a lot of mountain bikers pass us on this hike, which was at Sweetwater Preserve by Saguaro National Park West. I've noticed that mountain bikers usually have big, big smiles even if they're on a steep uphill stretch.


I posed in my sling under this saguaro 
because it looks like its arm could be in a sling.


The saguaros in this last photo are in Catalina State Park, where I hiked earlier in the week. I still can't drive because of the arm, but I can hike as long as I don't have to jump or scramble.

Habits -- I'm still struggling to lose weight and to make healthy eating a habit. I just need to lose my sweet tooth, which is REALLY hard for me. Have any of you overcome that habit, and how did you do it?

Have a colorful day


4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

For what it's worth, I'm a big proponent of portion control, and when it comes to sweets when I'm trying to lose weight, I don't necessarily remove them altogether from my diet, although sometimes I can go a long time without feeling the need. Instead, I satisfy my craving with a very small portion, like a single mini Reeces Peanutbutter cup, or a single bite of a cookie. That's all I usually need. I know for some people one bite is the gateway to devouring a whole caloric dessert or continuing to pop one small bit of chocolate or peanutbutter cup after another, but this strategy has almost always worked for me.

I get the biggest kick out of seeing all those saguaros - they really do seem to have individual personalities! That one definitely needs a sling.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful pix as usual! I love all the different Saguaros - they do have personalities!
As for the sweet tooth, I'm with ya! However, I don't eat baked goods and try to stick with only eating small Hershey's dark chocolate nuggets - no more than 6 a day, and less if I can manage it. Meanwhile, if you can do what you can to limit carbs in your diet, that can help. I'll PM you another thing that helped me to lose weight although I think you may have tried something similar, but maybe we can kick around some ideas. Meanwhile, enjoy that weather!

Jody said...

I so love your photos! Such a beautiful area you are living in!
As for losing the sweet tooth, that is a tough one. I have friends who have achieved that, but I truly believe they didn't love sweets with the intensity that I do. So I ration them. I love dark chocolate, so that is always in my rotation. But I allow myself one 'something else' during the day. This week it is hot cross buns( I love the damn things). So I have one of those mid morning. And my 2 squares of chocolate after supper. Some days I want something in between but the longer I have been on this routine the easier it has become. And my sugar intake is down, but not gone. I have decided I am good where I am.

I think we just need to be comfortable with our bodies as they are unless we are way over feeding it. I think you look amazing and you get a lot of outdoor exercise as well. ymmv, jmho.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thank you all for the diet advice. It's a struggle, but I've got to keep working at it!