Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, February 13, 2023

Hiking, hail, PT and cake!



We have a winter storm today, but yesterday was 76 and sunny so I went hiking at Catalina State Park. I went by myself because all of my hiking friends were busy. The giant saguaros never cease to amaze me! These ones have probably been alive at least 100 years because of their size and all those arms.



The stream on the lower side of Canyon Loop Trail was running clear and loud, and Sunday it was dotted with people and dogs enjoying it in the warm sunshine. I had to wade through water several times, but my sneakers and wool socks dried within minutes in the desert air.


One thing I love most about this particular trail is its variety of scenery. The grass above was to my left, and to the right were the saguaros (below), and water was just behind me.


But today is a different story. We had hail this morning and the mountains were obscured by low clouds. The high will only be 49. It's a good day to stay inside and sew except that I don't have any projects going. I'm craving working with color and need to get started on something soon!


This afternoon I have physical therapy for the shoulder. The last time I was there I snapped this glorious view from the waiting room. I still can't believe that I live here!


And last but not least, our book club celebrated Sandy's birthday with this gorgeous German chocolate cake baked by Beth! Four layers of deliciousness!


My friends are like sunshine!


Have a colorful day

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm glad you were able to hike on Sunday in such a beautiful area! Enjoy every moment, and I hope your PT gets you off the sling and back to creating as much as you can!

Robbie said...

You had me at cake! HA Love that you get to hike as much as you do...but do be careful when you are out there alone! Don't want to see a story about you on National TV! HA Hope the shoulder is healing well!