Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Happy Solstice!

 


"Water, Earth, Wind and Sun"

Summer Solstice has always been a favorite day of mine because I love the sun and sunshine and color and warmth. Well, maybe not Tucson's summer warmth, since it's going above 100 all this week, but it sure beats a dark, rainy day.


Detail of a wool appliqué quilt.

This year, I thought I'd show some of my sun-related quilts for the Solstice. Ever since I was little and growing up in Pittsburgh I dreamed of living in the desert with its clear blue skies and abundant sunshine, and my quilts over the decades have reflected that fascination with the sun. And now I finally live here!


"Light" (one of my favorite quilts)

"Beach Houses" (above and below)



"The Purple People Celebrate Summer"
This one was juried into the International Quilt Festival 
in Houston about 20 years ago.

Detail of a sampler quilt highlighting different sewing techniques. This one includes two circular faced fabric windows and free-motion quilting.

Inspired by mosaic tiles.


Experimenting with woven quilts.


I love the sunshine and shadows on "Garden Gone Wild" during an outdoor photo session.


Detail of a quilt for my daughter showing places she has lived.

One of my mandala quilts inspired by the sun and red rocks of Sedona.

Below, another sun tucked into a quilt.

I hope you find time to chill out this Solstice! I made this from a photo of sweet Bunners.


To see what other fabric artists have been up to this week, check out Nina-Marie's blog: the-color-cabal-its-thing-on-off-wall.html

Have a colorful day!

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

They're all so beautiful, especially the first one! Happy Summer Solstice, and enjoy living the dream! <3

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks for the lovely stroll through your sun quilts! Yesterday was a bit iffy here, cool with clouds, a spit of rain and then the sun breaking out late afternoon. Today, gorgeous and warm again, worthy of the start of summer.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What struck me, as I strolled through you solstice quilts is how consistent your palette is. These would make a lovely solo exhibition.

The Inside Stori said...

Just viewing all these colorful pieces made me smile!!! Thanks for sharing them!