Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Color in Port Gamble, WA

Yvonne of Gamble Cove Dahlias
I drove out to Port Gamble last weekend for French toast at the General Store and hand-dyed wool at the Quilted Strait, but the highlight was the incredible showing of dahlias in all shapes and colors.

I hit the jackpot at Yvonne's Gamble Cove Dahlias stand across from the quilt store. For $1 a stem (or $2 for the huge dinner plate dahlias) I took home this fabulous bouquet for next to nothing, but the color it brings is priceless.

I love the quote on the back of her card:

"A flower does not think of competing
with the flower next to it.
It just blooms." 
-- Zen Shin

Yvonne's bouquet in front of one of my quilts.
The Kitsap County Dahlia Society also has several display gardens in Port Gamble. Here are just a few of the blooms:







I came across one of the gardeners tending the plants.


He fashioned arrows from flowers to lead people between the two gardens.




The Quilted Strait was just as colorful, with many quilts hanging in what used to be the stables of the historic town.


And colorful baskets lined the sidewalk one block over. It was a relaxing day full of color and inspiration.


Have a colorful day 


5 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, what a beautiful array! Looks like you hit the jackpot with this trip!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Gorgeous! And I spotted several ideas for color palettes like the flowers taken against the blue sky.

Robbie said...

Those flowers are amazing!!! And you captured them perfectly in your pictures!!! WOW..wow...wow!

Julia said...

You should post these pictures on your Instagram! I think you'd get a lot more attention/comments there since it's more popular.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Julia, I always forget that I'm on Instagram. I guess I don't run with the popular crowd.
Thanks to the rest of you for your nice comments!