Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Ocotillos and other desert greenery


Today's lesson in desert plants is about Fouquieria splendens, commonly known as the ocotillo and pronounced "awk-oh-tee-oh." This spindly semi-succulent is indigenous to the Sonoran Desert (where I live in southern Arizona) and the Chihuahuan Desert of the Southwest.

For much of the year, an ocotillo looks like a cluster of grey, spindly dead sticks, but after rainfall it becomes lush with small green leaves and bright red flowers at the tips. The stems can grow up to 33 feet high and look magnificent against the blue desert sky.


Hummingbirds and bees love the red flowers.

I have an ocotillo in my front yard, but the back yard is much lusher. Here's a view from my patio:

My neighbors get much of the credit for these first two views, with their bougainvillea and palm giving me much viewing pleasure.

Here are closeups of my pink bougainvillea and orange Tangerine cross vine:



And in my hiking news, I got a new bumper sticker!

Here are my hiking buddies on our latest hike, to Pima Canyon. Someone asked if we were in a special club because of our hats, so I asked for some "club" names on Facebook. My favorite response was Shady Ladies by my daughter.

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

jane said...

IT seems like this time of year would be a great time to visit Arizona! love all the blooming colors!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful! And I love your new group name, too cute!

Robbie said...

When I saw your title, I couldn't imagine what ocotillo's were! How interesting! Your yard (& neighbors) look like a botanical garden!!! Beautiful!