Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, March 29, 2021

Tidbits



I'm doing the boring part of my latest quilt -- prepping it for quilting. I had to sew three pieces of batting together, but that was better than buying more. And I lucked out when I found this super wide piece of yardage to use for the back! I bought it ages ago thinking I might make curtains, but that never happened. So now I just have the dreaded basting, which I do with safety pins. 




In other news, I got my second Pfizer vaccine on Saturday and it knocked me for a loop on Sunday. I was fine when I woke up, but after breakfast I started feeling nauseous. Then the chills, fever, and body aches set in really quickly. And extreme fatigue. I spent the day on the couch huddled under layers of blankets wearing a sweater over a sweatshirt over another shirt and two thick pairs of socks and sweatpants. It was almost 80 degrees outside, but I put the heater and fireplace on because I just couldn't get warm. Today I feel fine except for being a little tired.


Earlier, I went to my first outdoor art fair since Covid started. Everyone was masked and I felt safe since we were outside. I noticed a lot of metal art, with an emphasis on suns and saguaros.

And my quote for today,
which describes me exactly:


Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Glad you are past the second vaccine, and I had a very similar reaction to the Moderna. Worth it if we can keep from getting the virus.
Wow, you are venturing out - good to see that events are starting to happen again, isn't it?
Love your quote! I definitely relate! ;-)

Robbie said...

Love the T shirt saying!!! Perfect...sorry you had a reaction to the vaccine. We had Pfizer and no reaction to either shot. You just don't know...but good you are vaccinated! Yipee! Art fair looks like it was really nice and to be out and about (outside) is great!!!! Good for you!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh boy, I need that t-shirt . . . in an XL!!!

I got my second Moderna shot today and while I had a slightly off day after the first one, I'm not sure what to expect with the second. Most everyone says the second one hits harder with side effects but often that is from the Pfizer. The most humorous story I heard, if any of this can be humorous but she was laughing when she told it, was the husband and wife who had their shots at the same time, and with #2, she felt like you, chills and just couldn't get warm, while he ran a fever. Go figure, she said with a shrug. Anyway, you have passed it and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here.

I had to chuckle at your "boring" and "dreaded" parts of making quilts. I'm with ya and would add binding and sleeve to the list. But it made me think about what one of my antique quilt teachers told us about why there are so many unfinished quilt tops vs far fewer finished quilts on the antique market. Primarily for the old ones, it might have been a matter of not having enough money to buy batting and backing, or perhaps not having the talent, time and/or space to hand quilt it and not being able to afford to hire someone to do it for you. Some of those same reasons may hold true today but I think we may need to add that these last steps are often the most boring and dreaded of the process even today! Really, no wonder there are so many tops in closets - I have a twin size one hanging in my closet as we speak and it's been there for a long time!