Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, March 15, 2021

Feb/March Challenge Week 7


I can't believe our two-month challenge is almost over! It's been great for encouraging me to make sure I have something new from the sewing room to share with you every Monday.

This past week I've concentrated on my big curves quilt. Each block will finish at about 16 inches, and I'm going to have four across and four down. You can see the size by looking at my foot in the top picture.

Since I have so much free time on my hands, I don't mind having to mark and pin all the curves.

I was asked if the beige fabric below was a batik (it's not), so I thought I'd tell you about the fabrics that I'm using. The ones that look like they've been discharged or batiked are from a line by Marcia Derse called Art History 101 for Windham Fabrics. I've used more than these three.

I visited Marcia at her Whidbey Island, WA, studio a few years ago. Here's a link to that post: visiting-marcia-derse-fabric-designer.html. She was so friendly and her fabric is literally "to dye for."

I've also used a selection from the Grunge line by Moda. I've been using that line for years -- I love the textured look.

This last one, which I love for the complex layers, is by Lonni Rossi for Andover Fabrics.

I also bought some pretty pear fabric last week to use for napkins to go with some pale green thrift store plates that I have.



I'm linking up to Lynda's latest challenge week blog so you can see what she's been up to: feb-march-challenge-week-seven


In other news, I met up with my hiking friends today for a desert hike followed by lunch. It was good hiking weather -- a little on the cool side and overcast, so we didn't overheat.

And here's a nice sunset from a few days ago.


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Thanks for the info on Marcia Derse - I did a little googling of her fabric yesterday, and I really love her designs! I'll have to keep an eye out for her fabric when I do store visits.
Your quilt is really taking shape now... very nice! That project should keep you busy for awhile, huh? ;-)

The Idaho Beauty said...

I remember you introducing us to Marcia and her wonderful fabrics! I konw I said this before, but now that I'm seeing more blocks, I can say firmly how much I love these fabrics together and this color palette. Also love that thrift store plate and the lovely fabric you found to go with it. Bet it was nice to have company from Washington!