Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Identifying my plants with Google Lens



A friend just showed me how to use Google Lens to identify plants, so today I went out in my yard and tried to identify everything. The app tells me that the spiky red flowering bush in my backyard that the hummingbirds love is a Baja fairy duster. (Which is also what Kandi said when she visited. I thought it was a bottlebrush bush.)

Google Lens is an image recognition technology that brings up information about objects it identifies using visual analysis. I have the free app on my phone.

Baja fairy duster

Here are some of the other plants I identified or verified:

Mexican holdback tree (in pea family)

Mexican holdback on the back right

Tangerine crossvine

Trailing lantana (which I planted)

More purple lantana in front yard. The tree with the white trunk is a palo blanco. People on a Facebook Tucson group think the tree beside the agave is a mimosa, but I couldn't identify it for sure. It gets puffy feathery white or yellow blooms.

Angelita daisy

Agave, but not sure what kind


Thornless prickly pear


Bougainvillea with prickly pear in background


Yucca, I think, or maybe sotol?


Pencil cactus (actually a succulent)
UPDATE: Now I think this is a Lady's Slipper.

Coral fountain, a potted evergreen



Another potted plant -- not sure of the name

I couldn't identify this tree (above and below). I have three of them in the back yard and they have long feathery fronds that are very graceful. Does anyone know what it is. It's probably native to the Tucson area because I think the previous owner put all native plants in the yard. I like having rocks instead of high-maintenance grass.




Soaptree yucca, which I love


I have numerous clumps of this plant in the back yard, but I couldn't identify it. Maybe bear grass because of the curly ends?


Part of my back yard, proving that you can have green in the desert using native or heat and drought tolerant plants!

If any of you are desert plant experts, let me know if I got anything wrong. 


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Susan said...

If those feather frons open up it could be a tree called the cigar tree...very unique.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, that's a great tool to have! And I love your yard... so many varied and interesting plants! You have a lot of beautiful, colorful flowers which I'm sure are a hummingbird magnet! Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you are able to identify not only what's in your yard, but all the vegetation you see on your hikes as well. Very cool!

Lynda said...

That's cool! I use an app PlantSnap but it's not always been accurate. I love mimosa trees. Take a pic when its blooming. We had one in our yard when I was growing up. I'll check out that Google Lens. Love seeing all of your plants. So interesting!

Robbie said...

What a cool app! I'll have to check it out! It is great to have rocks vs grass isn't it! And not leaves from the trees to pick up either! Yea for AZ!