Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Hiking and gardening


I spotted this sticker on a car yesterday at the parking lot for the Wild Burro Trail, which was my latest hike with Beth and Barb. It's in the Tortolita Mountains north of Tucson.

We hiked four miles on the Wild Burro and Lower Javelina trails -- first up up up then down down down the mountain on one side of the dry wash, then the same thing on the other side. It was a good workout that was challenging but not exhausting. We were tired but in a good way!


You can see, above, how rocky much of the trail is. It's not like walking four miles on a paved park path! 

Take a look at that twisted saguaro with many arms towering over Barb and Beth! That part of the trail was down by the wash, so it wasn't so steep and rocky.

The next two pictures show us taking some breaks.


Tonight I took a Zoom class on hot weather vegetable gardening in Tucson. I'm thinking of planting some tomatoes and basil together in a big pot or a half barrel. The time to plant tomato starts is now, with the aim of harvesting by June before it gets too hot. Or maybe I'll save a bunch of money (those big pots are expensive) and just buy tomatoes at the farmers market.

Here's my little spot of color in the front courtyard. It gets full sun in the afternoon, but in the morning it's pleasant to sit there in the shade with a cup of coffee. I have no idea how long the flowers will last once the sizzling summer hits, but I hope I have at least a few months to enjoy them.

Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love your front courtyard, and the flowers are lovely! As for the tomatoes and basil, those are pretty much the only things I try growing up here, but not until the last frost date of June 15! I may start some basil, cilantro and chives inside early, then transfer to the deck when it's warmer.
Your hikes are really amazing, so many trails and such great scenery! This year will be so much nicer for you than last year, I'm thinking!

Marybeth said...

Try finding a small garbage can and spray paint it the color you want. Might be cheaper. Love your hiking pictures!! I think it is so great that your are making friends to do things with...you go girl!!

Robbie said...

Now that is a great saying!!! The twisted cactus is really amazing isn't it! Your outdoor area looks so inviting! Can't wait to see how 'your garden grows' this summer!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thanks everyone for your comments!