Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, October 28, 2022

Heading back to the O.R. and more news

Well, I just found out today that I've torn my rotator cuff that was repaired in August and I need another surgery to fix it again. The injury happened three weeks ago when I lifted my suitcase into the overhead bin when I flew out to visit my parents.

So, to cheer myself up on the way home from the doctor's office, I swung into Trader Joe's and bought candy and flowers for myself. The surgery probably won't be until after the holidays -- they haven't called yet to schedule it.


In the meantime, here are some other colorful things in my life since I last posted:


I bought eight of these perforated solar lanterns to add atmosphere to my back yard and I'm really enjoying the light that they cast.


We've been having glorious blue skies and temperatures only in the 70s, so I've been hiking almost every day.


Beth brought her dog, a Wheaton terrier named Sunshine, on her first hike with us this week. Sunshine likes to walk around her neighborhood, but this was a whole new experience and she was nervous. But she was a trooper.


The desert is bursting with these little yellow flowers. I'm not sure what they are. They look like little daisies. And the saguaro below looks like it's giving a hug!



I repotted my kalanchoe in a colorful Talavera pot and bought a new fall wreath for the front door.




I watched Nancy's dog, Charlie, for a day and he never took his eyes off of me. And Nancy took me on a ride in her golf cart for an author's talk in Sun City. That was fun!



I hope to get back to some creative stitchery soon. Oh -- I forgot the best news! When I saw the ortho surgeon today, he also gave me a cortisone shot in my left thumb to see if that would ease the arthritis inflammation enough that I can hand stitch again. I'll know within a week if it's going to work. If not, the only solution will be surgery on that hand.


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well, you obviously weren't paying attention when you hoisted that suitcase overhead! If there's one thing I've learned from my own recent surgery it is to not be shy about asking for help in the lifting and picking up department. It's humbling for a person who has always been so independent about things and physically able to do most things, but sometimes humble is a good place to be. Hope it doesn't cause you too much discomfort while you wait for another fix. And I do hope that shot helps your thumb. <3

sonja said...

one of my very favorite quotes from a favorite writer/ poet!!
and oh ouch! as we age like fine wine we also need help with some stuff us independent women are used to doing! i have also found some sweet treats, especially chocolate based, help pain, n'est-ce pas? !

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Oh, Sherrie! I'm so sorry about your rotator cuff re-injury! Over the years, I've hurt my right shoulder a few times and have learned to be very careful about lifting with that arm. Lifting up is a no-no for me. I hope repair surgery will do the trick - that and working on learning what not to do!
I'll keep fingers crossed that the cortisone helps your thumb - that would be great!
Enjoy that lovely weather - we have snow coming later next week - not sure how much, but temps are definitely going toward winter!
As for the saying at the end, you do a great job telling about it!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.