Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Hiking, healing and sewing



I've made it on a few hikes since my shoulder surgery, but I'm picking easy trails where I'm not likely to trip and fall.

We had a lot of rain earlier, so there's water on some of the trails where it's usually dry. The horses didn't mind on this hike in Catalina State Park.


The saguaros are fat and happy from the rain. They store water by expanding, which is allowed by their accordion pleats.





The desert is greening up, and I'm slowly healing. In case you've ever wondered how arthroscopic shoulder surgery looks afterward, here are my stitches covered by bandaids. It's amazing what can be done by inserting those tiny little tubes into the shoulder instead of cutting the whole thing open.

My recovery this time will take longer because the surgeon added a patch over his repairs (under the skin), and I can't start PT for another month to allow the patch to take hold securely. That means no driving for too long!



At least I'm able to make spirit dolls while I'm in the sling. Here's my latest one.


I ordered a new batch of buttons for the faces and am well supplied with sticks from pruning in my back yard.


And our sunsets have been spectacular lately!

Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm glad you're still able to get some hiking in... and also happy you can still make your spirit dolls! Love the fabric on this latest one!

I hope this latest surgery does the trick for you... no more swinging things up and down, hear?

Marybeth said...

No stitches, just band-aids? That is wonderful...the no driving is the pits. Love the spirit dolls! Each one has its own feel and your titles are perfect.

Robbie said...

Wow...do take care so you heal well!!