Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, December 10, 2023

A sparkly thread star

I've been collecting thread scraps for years and years, and every once in awhile I sandwich some between Sulky Solvy layers to make a scarf or bauble. Yesterday I made a sparkling star ornament to put on the front of a card for the gallery owner where I sell my spirit dolls. It hardly made a dent in the thread tails!


I also used little snippets of this gold mesh fabric that I've been using in my quilts for literally decades. I buy it at Joann's where they carry the fancy fabric for costumes and bridal dresses.



If you're not familiar with this method, you sandwich your scraps of fabric/thread between two layers of Sulky Solvy, which is a water-soluble stabilizer. I laid my scraps on pretty thick ...


... then I folded the top half of the Solvy over the scraps and held the sandwich with a few pins.


I sewed around the edges to hold everything in, then sewed back and forth and up and down about a quarter inch apart over the whole piece. I used YLI metallic gold thread in the top and yellow in the bobbin. This stitching is what will hold the snippets together when the stabilizer is washed away, so you need to sew close together.


Then I washed out the Solvy ...


... and laid it on a towel in the sun to dry. You could also use a hair dryer.


I cut out a star shape and then used a gold zigzag stitch to sew it onto a piece of green felted wool.



 And voila! A star to decorate the front of a card and also to hang as an ornament!

I also blogged about this method for making scarves here: summer-scarves-and-stitch.html


I also made sparkly ginger molasses cookies, one of my Christmas traditions since the kids were little. Except now it's just me at home eating the cookies!

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Fun use for the threads! I have a huge glob of threads that I once in awhile dive into... might have to try making a star!

Marybeth said...

I made a scarf and a bowl out of just a minute part of my tread ends. Do the ends need to be a certain length to be called orts? Do you share your ginger molasses cookie recipe?

sonja said...

star maker and cookie baker
you make some your art edible
and some stars that shine!