Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Christmas ginger molasses cookie recipe

 

Marybeth asked if I share my ginger molasses Christmas cookie recipe. Why, yes I do, so here you go!

I've been making it every year at Christmas since I clipped it from the 1990 Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies magazine. My kids loved them, but now that they're both vegan they wouldn't touch them because of the butter and eggs.


Ingredients: 2 1/4 cups flour, 3/4 cup butter or shortening, 1 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/4 cup molasses, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp baking soda, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp salt, extra sugar to roll dough in

1. Cream butter on low for 30 seconds

2. Gradually add sugar and beat until fluffy

3. Beat in eggs and molasses

4. Fold in dry ingredients (I sift them together first)

5. Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls  (1 heaping TBS of dough) and roll in sugar (I used red and green sugars when the kids were at home, but now I use white shimmer sugar)

6. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until light brown and still puffed

7. Let stand 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack

Makes 24

I put most of them in the freezer for friends and company, but I've been sneaking a few a day. 

Last night I made another of my traditional recipes: chocolate chip pumpkin bread. I got this recipe from the mother of a 5th-grade friend because my friend used to share hers with me at lunch time and I loved it. So I've been making this a loooong time! I made seven mini loaves yesterday and have already eaten one. The rest also went into the freezer for Christmas company.

Have a delicious day

1 comment:

Marybeth said...

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Hope to get some made soon! Have a happy holiday season! Looking forward to all your posts next year. Mb