Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, December 7, 2023

Back to hiking

I haven't done much hiking lately -- even though the weather has been perfect for it -- because my hiking buddies are off in Egypt and Mexico. But today I went out by myself. It was too nice not to be outside and I definitely needed some exercise.


I came across this cute roadrunner that wasn't afraid of me at all. I kept my distance, but she just sauntered around, pecking at the ground and looking at me curiously. Usually they run away.

But earlier I encountered a herd of javelinas as I rounded the corner on another trail and it scared the jeepers out of me because they can be aggressive. So I slowly retreated and took another trail.


The scenery was gorgeous as always, with a bright blue sky and golden leaves on some of the trees.


I think the two saguaros below are interesting because they're in the same environment but one is straight and looks like the classic saguaro while the other is all twisted. Reminds me of how two kids from the same family raised in the same environment can grow up to be so different!


This sandy wash is dry for now and looks like a beach, but during the summer monsoons it can be a raging river. It was a good hike.


Have a colorful day

2 comments:

Lynda Heines said...

Beautiful pictures. Glad you got out and hiked a bit!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, you got your share of wildlife! I still remember the herd of Javelinas I saw while at the house you were staying at in Sedona years ago... sure looks like perfect weather for hiking right now, so I'm glad you are able to get out and enjoy it.