Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Lap stitch pillow, Juniper and AI


I just made a plump little pillow to place on my lap when I'm doing hand stitching. It elevates the work so you don't have to hold it up or bend your neck so far. Nancy from Woolies showed us hers last meeting and that inspired me to make one.


I mainly liked the cool shape! You start by quilting two squares, one each for the front and back, with contrasting fabric. I made mine 15 inches square. To get the zigzag look, you start sewing the front and back together by putting the corner of one piece at the middle of any side on the other piece and then sewing all the way around, pivoting at the corners. Leave an opening, turn and stuff.


I also like the handy handle, which you make by sewing a handle strip across one corner before sewing the two squares together. That makes it easier to carry along with all your other sewing stuff. I read a tutorial for the pillow online, but now I can't find it otherwise I'd link you to it.


Which leads me to Juniper! I went to the craft store JUST to buy a bag of stuffing for the pillow and ended up filling a cart with cute Easter/spring stuff for my daughter to use when she takes Juniper's first Easter photos with the bunnies.


My daughter posted this on Instagram, showing how tiny Juniper is in her front carrier. That prompted me to dig out this photo of me carrying Julia in a Snugli back in the day. Julia was about six months old in this  photo, while Juniper is only one month. But she's plumping out at a good pace! And that's my son, Keith, on his first pony ride where we lived in St. Louis.

Julia also sent me some logos that she made while playing around with an AI app. I have mixed feelings about AI because it will probably put a lot of artists and graphic designers out of work, but it's still pretty amazing what you can do with it. But I will only use my own work.



Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What a clever idea for when you stitch! And I love the fabric you used, very cheery. I can't wait to see the easter photos with Juniper and the bunnies, how fun!
Wow, she's growing fast!
The logos are cute, but I'm with you - AI won't get any joy out of creating, the way artists do. Sad...

Robbie said...

Love the logo's!!!! So cute!!! But artsy!!!! And the picture of your daughter in her carrier and your son...so cute!