Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, February 3, 2024

Sewing through the storm


It was a nasty, dark, stormy day yesterday so I hunkered down at home and sewed. I took the video in my backyard while it was hailing and thundering.


My front porch chairs were covered in hail.


I made a padded zippered pouch using colors that reminded me of my trip to visit my new granddaughter. Snow, pine trees, the yellow blanket made by Pat that wrapped her, Charlie the orange cat who was always by her side, and brown for the piles of chocolate that my daughter and son-in-law gave me! The front and back are about the same.


I have to find a better technique for the ends of the zipper so they don't pull at the corners of the bag.


When I spread the fabrics on my cutting table, I realized that they perfectly matched the desert light switch plates that my daughter gave me for Christmas!



Today is a mixture of clouds and sun, but the rain has moved on. You can see a little snow on the tops of the Catalinas. I should be out walking but I'm feeling lazy and want to sew some more.

Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, you got dumped on! Nice project for a rainy day. I love the switch plates - including the Jack Rabbits!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wow - hail! That WAS a storm . . . Don't blame you for staying inside to sew. We've had fairly relentless rain and although I have perfectly good rain gear, with no dog anymore egging me on, it has been really easy to say no to the daily walk on days like that, and I always have more than enough things to do to fill that time slot. ;-) Winter rain feels so much more bone chilling than rain in other seasons, even if the ambient temperature is the same.

Robbie said...

Video was cool!!!! If you add pieces of fabric at the end of each zipper end, it helps keep corner(s) nice and when turned a good corner.

Lynda Heines said...

Sherrie,

Love your zip pouch and love those colors. Also, those switchplates. So pretty. Looking forward to what you make next.