Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, January 29, 2024

In love with my granddaughter



I just got back from ten wonderful days in Spokane with my new granddaughter, Juniper. I'm head over heels in love with the tiny bundle -- only 5 pounds 14 ounces when she was born but gaining steadily. 

I'm not showing her full face because my daughter worries about online predators and weirdos out there. But trust me, she's a BEAUTIFUL baby!


I could hardly take my eyes off of her (even though I'm looking at my phone in the picture). I held her for hours at a time while she slept and her parents rested. Charlie the cat always kept watch over her. He signaled his acceptance of me with a head bump.



Her tiny perfect hands just stole my heart, especially when the little fingers wrapped around mine! And the little feet!!! Am I gushing? Yes, I am.



The other cat, Tiny, and the rabbits weren't nearly as interested in her as Charlie was. I think Tiny just wanted to be outside in the snow.


I also did plenty of cooking to nourish Juniper's exhausted parents. They're both on parental leave and have settled into a routine where they watch the baby in shifts while the other sleeps. Since she was so tiny, she needed to eat every two-three hours round the clock. Jade is a nurse who normally works the night shift, so he's taken that shift at home and Julia is on duty during the day. I wish I lived closer so I could help more, but I know I'll be visiting as often as I can.



Have a colorful day


2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

How wonderful that both parents have leave they can take. How perfect a distribution of duties! How lovely that you could help spell them during this initial transition. Oh yes, you will definitely be back!

The picture of the rabbits is too funny. They look tired too as if they'd been helping out too - lol Interesting about the cats' different reaction to the addition to the family.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I am soooo very happy for you all with your new bundle of love! And I'm glad you were able to spend time with them, loving on her and giving them rest time too. Can't wait to hear more!