Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Quotes to help you sleep like a baby


Wouldn't we all like to sleep like a baby? Like little Juniper, my granddaughter who is now four days old and sleeping and eating like a champ!

I subscribe to www.inspiringquotes.com, and this morning's quotes were all about calming our minds at bedtime. Here are my favorites.



I used to dread going to bed when I suffered from insomnia for many years, but I conquered it with lots of work and now I love closing my book, turning off the light and curling up in bed at night knowing that sleep will come.


One of my techniques for getting to sleep some 30 years ago was picturing a beautiful deep blue quilt that I had seen in a book. Every time my mind started to worry and feel anxious, I would refocus on picturing that quilt. After awhile, picturing it became an automatic trigger for relaxation.


I read a lot of Buddhist books to calm my anxiety. Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh were among my lifelines about 10 years ago, and I still touch base with them regularly. (I don't know how to put the accent marks on their names.)


Some more quotes by Thich Nhat Hanh that I find soothing:

"Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today."

"People deal too much with the negative, with what is wrong. Why not try and see positive things, to just touch those things and make them bloom?"

Wishing you beautiful and sweet dreams tonight.


Have colorful dreams

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful thoughts, and I'm sad that we won't see more photos of your adorable grand daughter - that's been a universal joy to all parents and grandparents over time, and I guess you'll just have to carry a photo book with you to show off!

As for sleep, I totally agree with the first quote - I used to struggle nightly to get my mind to turn off - the past two years, I've slept like a baby almost every night, and look forward to it!

Robbie said...

I am behind...a grand baby!! Will have to read more posts from you. congrats to the family!!!