Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, January 14, 2024

Canyon Wind finished



"Canyon Wind," 36.5 x 49.5 inches

My first quilt finish of the year is one I started last summer, "Canyon Wind." It was inspired by my trip to the Grand Canyon. It sat on my studio floor for months just waiting for the binding, which I finally put on along with the hanging sleeve and label. Done!

I'm thinking of offering it for sale, so if you're interested email me to discuss: sherriequilt@yahoo.com.


I was going to paint my own fabric until I found the orange/purple strata batik in my stash and decided to use it instead. I cut it on the diagonal to give the quilt movement.


I imagined that as the wind kicks up in the canyon the air is full of energy and flashes of light and feathers and dust, so that's what I tried to portray.




It makes me feel as if a storm is coming.



On my visit last summer it was calm, but after living in the desert for four years now I know that can change quickly. Storms in the desert are incredibly dramatic!




The raven was at the Grand Canyon. The saguaros below are from my desert last week, where we've escaped the winter storms that are hitting most of the country. My hike yesterday was warm and sunny!


And look whose name made the list of Edgy Girl Names for 2024! Juniper, my little granddaughter!


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Great use of that strata batik - I think I have the same but in different colorways, such an inspiring fabric. This is absolutely gorgeous and the added bits on top make it quite unique. Congrats on the finish!

Must be characters I'm not aware of out there - so many of those names ring no bells for me. Is it possible that "Scout" is from some resurgence of To Kill a Mockingbird? Even in that book I couldn't figure out why they named her that! Juniper is different without being weird - I like it!

Robbie said...

Great work on this quilt! Clever to use diagonal! clever lady! I'm so far behind on blog reading...hope to catch up!