Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Blues

Foggy day over Wollochet Bay, Gig Harbor, WA
All photos by Sherrie Spangler


I love the blues -- music, sky and water.

Dungeness Spit, western Washington

We just finished watching a Netflix video of one of my favorite blues guitarists, Stevie Ray Vaughan, live at Montreux, for the third time in as many nights. Got me thinking of blue quilts and blue water, so here are a few.

Dungeness Spit again

It's hard to tell where the blue of the ocean ends and sky begins in the two photos at the Dungeness Spit in western Washington. The spit, which extends five miles along the Strait of Juan de Fuca, is a fantastic place for beach hiking, photography and bird watching. I took both photos on the same hike, but look at the difference in the blues!

"Blue Floaters" by Sherrie Spangler, 2007 (30x30")

Here is one of my few blue quilts. (I lean more toward gaudier oranges, pinks, purples and green.) Yarn floats across a layered quilted surface of painted, stamped, dyed and commercial fabrics. Now that I've moved to the Northwest and am surrounded by blue (blue-gray, blue-green, bright blue, soft blue) I'll have to start exploring those hues. I still have trouble mixing anything except turquoise and brights when I try to paint in blue.

Have a colorful day!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: