Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, January 24, 2011

They stole my article!

Every so often I google my name, just to see which quilts and exhibits are showing up. So imagine my surprise a few days ago when "Michael's Body Scenes Aerobics and Fitness Center" in Boca Raton, FL, showed up with my name!

THEY STOLE MY NEWSPAPER COLUMN!

Below the blurb welcoming readers to the first digital issue of the club's newsletter was a column I wrote last year for my local Gig Harbor newspaper. They picked it up word for word, including the headline. They did have the decency to put my name at the top, but they never contacted me or the newspaper for permission or to offer payment. It's a column about exercise bringing out our wild side, and this has sure brought out mine.

As an artist, I try to be very sensitive to copyright issues. I always give credit to other designers and to companies whose products I use, and I would never dream of picking up someone else's photo or writing for my blog without their permission.

Next step will be to contact offending fitness center and seek payment. Thanks for letting me vent.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ow! Good luck.

Ladybug said...

First of all, let me THANK YOU for divulging the business that "ripped you off". Whether they chose to ignore proper publishing etiquette, were truly ignorant, or just thought no one would notice, they were definitely in the wrong. At least they gave you credit and, who knows, maybe you'll gain some followers through this. One never knows what all comes from the ripple effect. Read your final column in the paper and really enjoyed it, as always. I've been following it from this blog and am sorry that is your last. However, that will give you more time to pour out your talents here - and THAT is a good thing!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!! I know people who have taken on Chicos and Hallmark for similar infringements.. the Chico issue had a positive outcome.. the Hallmark suit- not so much!