Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Colors of Bellingham, Take 2


I visited the kid in Bellingham over the weekend and we joined throngs of sun-starved people who flocked to Whatcom Falls Park to soak up Saturday's warmth and sun. By the next day it was back to chilly rain, but on Saturday everyone was blissed out in the park.


People and dogs sprawled in the grass, drunk on the warm sun. Flower bracelets were made.


I was feeling good, fueled by a stop at Rocket Donuts. I had my usual chocolate Bavarian, but Julia had this very colorful vegan sprinkle delight. The web site http://www.rocketdonuts.com/ has photos of each donut, for your 24-hour viewing pleasure.


On Sunday, we had a healthy lunch at the Colophon Cafe and Deli in the historic Fairhaven district. If you go to the web site http://www.colophoncafe.com/ you'll get hungry just reading about it. I was thrilled to note that Julia was wearing orange and had a blue plate, while I was wearing blue and had an orange plate! And the colors in the hummus platter and the iced tea brought it all together. (Quilters will understand.)


Just outside the Colophon was this gorgeous flower display:


I confess to having plucked these two rhodie blooms from the huge bush outside of my hotel. One good thing about all the rain in the Northwest is that it does produce lush flowers.


I had to make a stop at Barnes and Noble's to catch up on the latest magazines. Since our Border's here closed, I don't have anywhere to read a wide variety of magazines. I used to go to the big box book stores almost every night back in Illinois, but now I feel sort of out of touch because I can't peruse all the art, quilt, news, music, food, entertainment and esoteric magazines every month.


Sunday was too rainy to be outside, so we browsed at Goodwill and found a few colorful things to add to our stashes:


It was a good trip. I did another post on Bellingham color here: http://sherriequilt.blogspot.com/2011/08/colors-of-bellingham.html

Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Julia said...

I should visit Whatcom Falls more often now that I work right across the street. Also, I didn't mention that I was the one who chose the plate placement :p I knew you'd appreciate it.

Sherrie Spangler said...

You've learned well, young Grasshopper.

Ladybug said...

She has, indeed - AND, not only quilters will understand... any artist will. Great post - so glad you 2 enjoy each other so much!!