Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, August 17, 2012

Fresh from the garden

Harvested a few days ago
I've been neglecting the garden in this summer's blog posts, so I thought I'd show you what's up out there. The radishes are long gone and the tomatoes are still green, but our kitchen is bursting daily with freshly picked carrots, beets, lettuce and other greens, cauliflower, broccoli, parsley and basil, beans, onions, potatoes. I've probably forgotten something, but we're eating and freezing as fast as we can.

As I washed the beets and carrots, I decided they looked even more interesting through the distortion of bubbling water. What's real and what's not?






Swiss chard -- beautiful colors




Cauliflower -- delicious roasted




Curly kale -- Bunner's favorite




Lettuce -- salads every day




Beans -- almost ready




Corn -- courtesy of neighbor Dick




The reason for our deer fence




Dave's hops along our fence




My latest bowl -- inspired by garden colors



I rarely do realistic art. Instead I breath in the colors and impressions of our world and exhale an abstraction. This coiled bowl in my mind is either a garden or a sunset.
 
Bunners -- our garden's biggest fan




Have a colorful day





2 comments:

Pam said...

...colors are scrumptious! And, that bowl is so cool--vibrant and so pretty!

Sandy said...

Hi Sherrie,
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I like the garden colours. nearly everytime I make a salad I think I have got to make quilt with those salad colours in it!

love the bunny!
Sandy in the UK