Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

New year, new project, new plans


It's a new year, which means it's time for a new sewing project, getting back on track with Weight Watchers, and making a cleaning plan so I don't wait until company comes to have a clean house.


First up is the new wool appliqué project, "Imperial Blooms" by Sue Spargo. Instead of appliquéing the flowers onto a wool background, I'm using this yellow-green cotton, which is probably my favorite color. After I'm done appliquéing, I'll embellish the flowers with embroidery and beads.


As for Weight Watchers, I joined at the end of October with the goal of losing 30 pounds over 30 weeks, but between Thanksgiving and this week I have had 17 eating events -- potlucks, parties, luncheons, dinners with friends -- with the last one being a soup potluck tomorrow with my yoga buds. So after tomorrow's party I'll get back on track, yes I will!


The cleaning plan -- not a resolution, but a plan -- is to either clean or organize at least one thing every day, no matter how small. Today was unseasonably sunny and all the dust showed, so I dusted the living room, dining room and bedroom. I also put away clean laundry that had been sitting folded in baskets for days. And I vacuumed. That was a good jump start, and the house looks so much better already.


Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm right there with you, Sistah! Only instead of WW, I have an on-line service I use to track my calories - caloriecount.com, and a great support group there of gals 60+ to share the journey. I'm up 12 pounds from last January, so working to reverse course. As for cleaning - oh, boy do I hear ya! I am trying to do something most days... will be thinking of you as I do, knowing I'm not alone! Projects - I'm playing with mixed media right now, and my studio is in total chaos, but I don't care! I just got a DVD by Sherrill Kahn, and hope to learn more about her "how to"... love her work, and have wanted to try her techniques for awhile now. Maybe I'll have some things for "show and tell" come March!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Sounds good Sherrie. I need a plan (for cleaning) and a diet too but not a new project - too many leftovers I'm anxious to see completed. Just watched Oprah on Late Night with Stephen Colbert and she has a new book out that might be the inspiration you need to make the weight watchers thing really work. Not a diet book she insists but it all relates. As for the wool on cotton applique, this might make the quilting easier. I like that style of motif. Am always anxious for you to get to the embellishment part as that is when these plain and not so exciting shapes come alive.

Julia said...

Go, Mom! Wish I could be there to help with cleaning. I just washed dishes, vacuumed, cleaned the bathroom, and tidied the kitchen up... for fun.