Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, August 21, 2017

Watching the eclipse



Dave and Dawn helped me experience the eclipse this morning! We had about 93% totality, and although it didn't get dark, it definitely got cooler and a breeze kicked up. Dawn brought over giant raspberry scones and we ate them on the deck, jumping up every now and then to check progress of the moon moving across the sun. A reggae mix of "Dark Side of the Moon" played in the background.


Even Buddha got into the action. My quilt in the background looks like a reverse solar eclipse, with the sun moving over the moon.


Here are some of the crescent shadows they said to look for during the eclipse.


You can't tell from the above photo, but it did get a little darker -- and definitely colder.


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Robbie said...

Looks like you made it a party day!!! Good for you. I was in and out of stores so never did get to see it but I did Tivo ABC news...HA

Julia said...

Oh, Dub Side of The Moon! I had forgotten about that album. Wish I could have been there to watch with you.

Shirlee Fassell said...

Living in the northeast we were only getting a partial of course so I made my "shoe box viewer"" sat in the yard waiting as the clouds rolled in and blocked the view!

The Idaho Beauty said...

At 90% we experienced much the same as you. I didn't bother with the glasses, couldn't make out any crescents among the leaf shadows but did experience the drop in temperature. And because I wasn't staring at the sun with the eclipse glasses, I experienced first "What's wrong with my eyes" as it started to darken a bit and I found myself squinting and wanting to rub my eyes, and then at full eclipse thinking it was as if I was wearing my sunglasses. So different from when a cloud passes between you and the sun. Glad I experienced even that little bit of the eclipse event. Looks like you had fun making a bit of a party out of it. Love the Buddha well protected as it sits in front of that super quilt.