Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, August 28, 2017

Zucchini chips



We tried something new with our zucchini harvest this summer:

 Zucchini chips.


I read a few recipes on Pinterest and then we started. First, Dave sliced them about 1/8" thick with the mandolin. Within seconds he had neatly sliced his finger because he wasn't using the guard. He used the guard for the rest.


Next, I tossed them in flavored oil and salt and pepper. We did one batch in Japanese Roasted Sesame Oil and salt and the other batch in Chipotle Olive Oil and salt and pepper. I used about a tablespoon of oil for each extra large zucchini and it was a little too much. Next time I'll use only two teaspoons. You have to massage the oil in with your fingers to coat the slices evenly.


Then we spread the slices on dehydrator trays. Ideally the slices wouldn't overlap, but these did because we were running out of room. We dehydrated them at 135 degrees for about 15 hours, flipping them after about six hours.

The next day, we had bowls of beautiful, translucent, delicious, crunchy chips. Although they're good, I'm making zucchini bread tonight.


 Have a colorful day

5 comments:

Luann Fischer said...

I have always enjoyed using the zukes from my garden, when I lived in Wisconsin. I don't grow them down here in SC. I've got plenty of inexpensive farmers markets I can support. I fried them in butter after drenching them through flour at one time of my life. Scrumptious but I've changed how I cook and that would only be a once in a great while treat. Zuke bread or muffins are my all time favorite especially if you add some walnuts and raisins. BUT, what got me to click on the leave a comment button? Your photo at the end. It is actually very inspirational with the light filtering through the slice of zucchini. Can I have your permission to use it in the future in an art quilt? Recreating it in fabrics, felting, I'm not sure just what, but you caught a great shot and I would like to print it out and have it as inspiration. After you read this comment if you want to edit it, or even delete it, so that no one sees my request, I will totally understand.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

They sound yummy, Sherrie, but way too labor-intensive for me. I have a couple of good veggie sides I make from them, but the chips are intriguing for sure!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Luann -- You're a no-reply blogger so I couldn't email you about your comment, so I hope you see this. YES, you absolutely may use my photo of the zucchini chip for inspiration in an art work. I'm glad you it.

Robbie said...

Love all the zucchini recipes. I don't have a dehydrator so bake (with parm cheese, etc.)..so good!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

sonja said...

Love the transparency of light through the dry slice!!
Art you can eat!!!
So one of my favorite ways to include the humble zucchini in my life is by cutting them in thin circular slices and tucking them in all around my chicken enchiladas on the outside rim that i bake in a pie glass dish in my toaster oven. So good and Colorful!