Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Fall color in the Northwest


The weekend was gorgeous out here, so Dave and I went in search of fall color and a hike. We found that AND piles of pumpkins at the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island.


There was a scavenger hunt going on, so pumpkins and other gourds were tucked throughout the 150 acres of gardens and woods.




Then there was the brilliant fall foliage! While not as colorful as back East where I grew up, the reds and golds were still beautiful, especially against the blue sky. (Although orange is also breathtaking against a stormy grey sky.)




The midafternoon shadows were already long, portending darker days to come.



The reserve used to be the home of Virginia and Prentice Bloedel. Visitors can wander throughout the first floor of the house, where my husband got sucked in by the book collection. It includes hundreds of volumes on plants and natural history. 


Back in Gig Harbor, I got a shot of fall leaves undulating on the water.

Happy Halloween!


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Wow..your fall colors are beautiful!!! We have hardly none this year!!!!! I love the green pumpkin!!!! What a nice hike!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful pix, Sherrie! The last shot reminds me of a picture I took at Ft. Lewis when our son was stationed there... I used it as inspiration for my very first art quilt. I'm thinking those pumpkins gourds and dried corn could be inspiration for something fiber related... glad you had a nice time!

Julia said...

Really great photos! I’ll have to show you how to post short videos here (if I can figure it out) because I bet the last photo would be cool to see in action.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Julia -- I'll take you up on your offer!