Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Getting high in Vancouver


I was feeling pure trepidation in this photo as I prepared to step onto a 50-foot-high, narrow, swaying bridge strung among the trees in the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden. It's called the Greenheart Canopy Walkway, and it takes you on a long, shaky loop, stopping at eight platforms, through the giant cedars and hemlocks of the northern forest. 


I was so glad when I stepped down, but it did make me feel closer to the trees.


From tall trees we go to tall buildings in Vancouver, where Dave and I spent a few days earlier this week. I blogged more about the buildings and population density back in May: feet-and-forks-take-on-vancouver.html


Our rental condo was on the 35th floor of one of the many, many, many glass high-rises. We had a great view every night of the moon rising over the city.


During the day we could see Mount Baker, which is a driving distance of 143 miles from the city! I couldn't find the distance as the crow flies.


Even the quilt store had high-rises. This quilt, called "Urban Living," is a block of the month kit at The Cloth Shop on Granville Island. I'm tempted to sign up for it -- love the funky buildings and bright colors -- except that it's paper piecing and I don't like doing that technique very much.


There were more high things at the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology, from massive totems ...


... to a giant Buddha statue.


And on our walk along the seawall, we came across this massive granite inukshuk, an Inuit symbol traditionally used as a landmark and navigational aid, but also representing northern hospitality and friendship. This one was made by Alvin Kanak for EXPO '86.

Go back to the picture from the quilt shop and see if you can find an inukshuk.


Our walk also took us through Stanley Park, a 1,000-acre wilderness park, where the trees are massive. Dave looks tiny next to this trunk. 


Stanley Park also has the Vancouver Aquarium, where this rockfish was looking up.


All-in-all, it's a great city.
I'm still coming down
from the high!


Have a colorful day

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the quilt! Bet you can figure out how to make something like that on your own... just sayin'! Beautiful scenery, too... not one picture of food, what's up with that? ;-)

Robbie said...

I give you a lot of credit! I'm not sure I would have taken that first step! You should have seen me hugging the tree(s) when I did the zip line run a few years ago!