Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Snapshots: Bend, peppers, power outage

A stormy view from Pilot's Butte in Bend, OR.
I've been missing on the blog the past week because first we were in Bend, Oregon, then I just felt lazy because of all the rain.

We went to Bend hoping to hike on the "sunny" side of the Cascades, but our vacation week turned out to be rainy, snowy, windy and cold. We got one hike in, along the Deschutes River Trail, then we sheltered in quilt shops, book stores, the High Desert Museum and restaurants.


These two photos are along the Deschutes River Trail, which runs past rapids, lava fields, meadows and woods.


We went to five quilt shops, including QuiltWorks, which has an exhibit gallery upstairs and a really nice collection of fabric on the main level. We also hit the famous Stitchin' Post in Sisters, but I didn't get photos. 


The next three photos are from the High Desert Museum outside of Bend. The high desert is probably my favorite terrain. I loved the museum.




Next, restaurants. Some people take pictures of their wine glasses, but I like this picture of my ice water in front of a candle. I especially liked the Blacksmith and Zydeco in Bend for dinner and Rancho Viejo in Sisters for lunch.


The last two days it snowed! It didn't accumulate where we were, but we saw cars coming down the mountain covered with snow. It was nice to look at from inside, but we just didn't feel like facing the cold and wind to hike.


Back home, Dave harvested the last of his hot peppers, which included ghost, cayenne, habanero, and Thai. The deer ate all of the Vietnamese ones. He chops up fresh peppers and mixes them with fish sauce for a searingly hot condiment that he puts on everything. He's also going to dry some for later use. I don't go near the things, except for taking pictures.


Last night the power went out in a massive rain and wind storm. We lit the gas fireplace and battery-operated candles and it was quite cozy. And that brings you up to date on my life! Hope you've all had a good week.


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Sure sorry the wind didn't cooperate for you, but glad you had time to do some quilt store visits, and the museum looks like it would be very interesting. I'm going down Oak Creek Canyon with my friend Cinde next Tuesday... will post some pix when I get back, so you can enjoy vicariously!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I've been through Bend quite a few times as it was on our route to and from Allen's parents in CA. I think we stayed overnight there once but it was Thanksgiving and everything but a few restaurants was closed. (We had a really good "Thanksgiving" dinner at a Chinese restaurant.) That Deschutes trail looks like something I would really enjoy doing. I seem to remember walking along the river a bit as it flowed through the town.

Too bad the weather didn't cooperate but it sounds like you had a good time anyway. And I love your answer to no power once you got home.

Robbie said...

We probably enjoy your 'vaca' time as much as you do! We get to see what you did...where you went and we don't leave the couch! Cool!...except for the power loss!

Dotti said...

Good for Dave!

I am just now finishing up the last of my Thai Dragon peppers which I dehydrated and ground several years ago. And, NO, Davey, they don't lose anything...flavor or heat! Will be planting more next season. I (heart) your very colorful blog Sherrie!