Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Tonje Belinda Phillips' applique quilts

One of Tonje Belinda Phillips' colorful, wacky quilts.

One of my favorite quilt artists spoke at our
Gig Harbor Quilters guild meeting this month:

Tonje Belinda Phillips


I fell in love with the Oregon quilter's whimsical appliqué quilts a few years ago at the big annual quilt show in Sisters, OR. I was so excited that she was coming to our guild that I planned our vacation return date around it. She did not disappoint!


She showed some fantastic flower quilts ...


... and fun houses




... and beautiful baskets.


She is friends with Sue Spargo, who she said influenced her wonderful embroidery embellishments. The quilts were SO inspirational.


I bought her book, "Hand-Appliqued Quilts," and couldn't wait to get home and pour through it. I've never done needle-turn appliqué, but her book clearly explains it. I plan to add that to my tool box of quilting skills soon.


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Ooh! I see lots of beautiful projects in your future! Don't you love learning new things? Looking forward to seeing what you get into now...

Robbie said...

Love the quilts!!! Will have to check out her book as well!!! So many books to read/buy/use as inspiration!! HA Her work is so whimsical!!!