Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, July 6, 2018

Fourth = Flags, food, friends, family, fireworks, fun


The Fourth of July this year was packed with color and fun -- and even a July 4 quilt -- but I'll start with the flags.

I had my husband pose with our flag because he put in 34 years of service with the military, mainly active duty Army but finishing up with being in the Marine and Navy reserves. It meant we had to move all over the country with our kids, but it was worth it. Thanks, Dave!

Our neighborhood was adorned with flags.
We spent the day with our friends Duane and Paula and their family. They draped the back of their house in bunting:


Next up is the food!

My fruit kebabs are supposed to look like fireworks.
Chef Valerie makes buttermilk dressing
for her corn salad, which was delish.
Valerie also made a quick Caprese salad.
Nathan checks on the ribs,
which Valerie cooked sous vide earlier.

And the cupcakes,
the CUPCAKES! 

They deserve more than just a caption! Paula is a fantastic baker, but she said these just came from the back of the Hershey's cocoa can. They were so moist and chocolatey and delicious that I could see living on them exclusively.


Paula has a huge selection of quilts made by Duane's 90-year-old mother, and she often uses them as tablecloths. Here is the red, white and blue one she used for the dessert table, which besides the cupcakes included a raspberry pie and homemade maple ice cream.


A summer day at Duane and Paula's always includes a leisurely boat ride around the lake. This time, Dave brought his kayak to get in some paddling exercise.


Summer also means that Paula's gardens will be bursting with color -- a true feast for the eyes.





We even had a surprise visitor. This little guy landed on Nathan's face and then hung out on his thumb while we marveled at the bright green coloring.



Time for the selfie stick!
The night ended with a bunch of bangs, as Duane and neighbors all around the lake set off fireworks.


Have a colorful day


5 comments:

Robbie said...

Wow!! I want to come yourwaynext 4th of July! May I say thank you to your husband for his service!! My father was killed in Korean war in '53 so I don't remember him.
AND thosae cup cakes are fabulous!!! Back of the Hersey can!! Will have to look that one up! Thanks for a very enjoyable post!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Looks like a fabulous day! Thank you for the beautiful pictures, especially of the gorgeous flowers in your friend's garden... I'm so jealous!

Luann Fischer said...

Is it ok that I use the dragonfly picture to capture the unique patterning on the wings? If not, thanks anyway and thanks for sharing your adventure.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Luann, you absolutely my use the photo. I don't have your email address, so I hope you see this.

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a grand celebration! Those hydrangeas blew my socks off! And love that lovely dragonfly.