Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, July 27, 2018

Sew Day in the shade with my friends

Look at what Linda J. did in her art journal during Sew Day!
That's the tablecloth on my patio table where we sat.

I hosted Sew Day this week and it was HOT, HOT, HOT! The temperatures were hot, too -- low 90s and no clouds. We kept our cool by following the shade on my deck, ending on the lower deck surrounded by rhodie bushes and Northwest firs.



We also went through plenty of ice water and ice tea. 


But on to the sewing. 

Linda J., who is also in my STITCH group, showed this great quilt that she made for our STITCH challenge. The challenge, called "This Is Me," is to make a quilt that represents us. Linda is a gardener and a quilter who is married to a golfer, and she even included her chandelier and stacks of books because the challenge quilts will be exhibited in the library this fall. Her work is always fabulously colorful.


Linda also showed some fabric that she painted, stamped and screen printed.



Our other Linda worked on several wool applique projects. She's the friend who got me interested in wool applique.


Nancy made a jelly roll quilt and was appliquéing it with leafy vines of her own design.


I continued to work on my Pepto Bismol pink wool applique. Carolynn also worked on wool applique, but my picture of her piece turned out so dark that you can't see it very well. She does beautiful work.


Another page from Linda J.'s art journal:


But it wouldn't be Sew Day without food, so here is what we had ... chicken salad, fruit salad, caprese salad ...


... and chocolate cake!!!





Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Robbie said...

Another great show and tell...what talent. although, I'd be there just for the food! Looks fantastic! And the cake! WOW!

sonja said...

Follow the shade! Yes! What talented food and art folks you gathered. Thanks for sharing, what more could you ask!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What lovely projects you all had to work on, although I'm not sure I would want to work with wool felt in 90 degree weather, lol! And yes, the food looks delish as usual... cool, colorful and tasty! BTW, I love that piece on the wall behind you all... lots of great color and texture!

Lynda said...

Wow! What fun! And the food....oh my. Thanks for sharing.