Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, August 2, 2018

"This Is Me" quilt and Willie!


I was so inspired by Linda's STITCH challenge quilt in my last post that I started working on mine this week. The challenge -- "This Is Me" -- is to make a quilt representing something about ourselves. It is to be 22 inches wide and 33 inches high.


So I pulled out my old yoga fabric because I go to yoga classes three or four times a week and have been doing yoga off and on since I was a teen. 

Then I pulled out the colorful blooming desert fabric that I bought a few years ago in Arizona because I've always loved the desert, even though I grew up in Pennsylvania and didn't see a desert until I was in my 20s and got a job in El Paso. 

I set off all that color with a black and white text fabric because I've been a writer all my life. Some coordinating colorful prints, and I was all set to make this wonky, improvisational piece.


I'm going to use a pieced binding, above, but I haven't settled on a quilting design yet.


I tried a free-motion sun, but I think it looks too sloppy. I love the sun, so that would fit in with the "This Is Me" theme, but I just don't like the way it turned out on this practice piece. So I'll think about it for awhile until something clicks.


In the meantime, the weather has turned cool and cloudy and our deck chairs look awfully lonely with no one stitching in them like in the last post.


In other news, I went to a Willie Nelson concert last night!!! The weather was perfect for the outdoor setting in Marymoor Park in Redmond. Here is the sun going down behind the trees while Alison Krauss opens the show.


It was dark by the time Willie came on. That's him in the white cowboy hat. Despite Internet rumors that he had died, he was quite alive and kicking and even did a song about waking up not dead. Here it is: watch


Back home this morning, here is my pink wool applique quilt that I'm still hand quilting with the seed stitch.



Have a colorful day


4 comments:

sonja said...

What great concert you got to attend! I love that Willie Nelson!
"glad we all woke up today to make some art and play!" me.
I'll be singing that song all day and making up my own words along the way....

Robbie said...

Oh, lucky you!!! I love Willie!!!!! I watched the video...I've never heard the song but I did hear about the rumor...ha

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Thanks for sharing that link, Willie's too kewl! And I can't wait to see how your challenge quilt comes out... sounds like you've got some great themes for it, and I love your sunburst... always been a favorite symbol of mine too. BTW, your wool applique quilt is looking really beautiful! All that wonderful hand stitching and beading makes it a real treasure.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Cool to see Willie. I like the piece you did for the challenge too! Most of my projects are about me, one way or another. I'm always playing that 5 steps away game.
xx, Carol