Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Wildflower hike on Mt. Rainier



"The mountains are calling
and I must go."
        -- John Muir and me


I've had a strong urge this summer to hike on Mt. Rainier during wildflower season -- something I had not done in the 10 years I've lived in the Northwest. So I told my husband we had to do it.  NOW!

 Cascade Asters march down the mountain.

Off we went to join the crowds before the wildflowers faded. It was worth the 2 1/2-hour drive and the sore legs the next day(s). 

Mainly we saw purple Cascade Asters, but I also saw some Scarlet Paintbrush, white puffy American Bistort and a handful of other subalpine flowers listed in the brochure.

We saw a lot of orange and blue butterflies on the flowers.
It was pretty much straight up for the first two hours of hiking, with a lot of stops to catch our breath and take photos. The trail is paved much of the way, and after that it's a well worn wide path. Our bodies, used to living at sea level, had a bit of a challenge hiking at 6,000 feet, which is why I had to stop so often to catch my breath. 


We started at the Paradise Inn and took the Deadhorse Creek Trail up until it met the Skyline Trail,  then we took the Skyline down.


It's sad to realize how much the glaciers are melting due to climate change. We heard three avalanches while we were there and saw one up in the snow field. At first we thought we were hearing thunder, then an airplane, then we realized it was an avalanche when we saw the cloud of white in the air on the steep face of the glacier.


The views were breathtaking, with fields of wildflowers, white glaciers, blue mountain peaks in the distance and a clear blue summer sky.


That's Mt. Adams on the horizon below.


On the way down, we passed this marmot sunbathing on a rock. Every so often it picked up its head and looked around, then flopped back down.



The stairs down were very steep, but I was glad for them so I didn't have to pick my way down over rocks and boulders. It was sort of a wimpy way of hiking, but it was okay by me.


Afterward, we checked out the Paradise Inn, which was hopping with visitors and activities.


Then we made the long descending drive off the mountain and stopped at the Copper Creek Inn for refreshment -- beer for Dave and wild blackberry pie for me, and trout and salmon. And we were still  home in time for me to watch my two episodes of "Murder She Wrote" before falling into bed.



 Have a colorful day


7 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What beautiful scenery! It does look like a serious hike, but you two are pretty hardy... nice way to enjoy the day!

jane said...

What a nice day! Beautiful pictures

Julia said...

Really nice photos! I love that marmot. In all the times I’ve been on Ranier, I never saw one!

Robbie said...

Wow...how wonderful you and hubby get to hike!!! The area is beautiful!!!! I know pictures doesn't do it justice but thanks for sharing and allowing us to take a trip with you! And we weren't sore at all! But we didn't get that great looking piece of pie! HA

The Idaho Beauty said...

Well you're one up on me. All the years we lived on that side of the state, we never went up on Rainier let alone hiked there. Ditto for the Olympics. I can't for the life of me figure out why. We loved getting out in the woods and I know we did a bit, just not to these famous places. You are so lucky!

Janice Smith said...

What stunning photos! A number of them would be spectacular subjects for landscape quilts. What an incredible gift to see beauty like this even if does involve hours of hiking and sore muscles. ;-)

Lynda said...

Beautiful pictures. Sounds like a wonderful day! Thanks for taking us along.