Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Starting a new applique quilt

"Fresh Cut" by Sue Spargo.
I'm working on a new Sue Spargo quilt pattern, "Fresh Cut," except instead of using her black wool background I'm using a selection of turquoise, aqua and blue cottons.


Here is one of the background blocks under construction. All of the applique is by hand, which is so meditative ... no thinking, just needling.


Here are a few blocks where I've stitched down the wool and cotton applique pieces. The next step will be embellishing everything with embroidery and beads.





I held the rickrack trim down with green beads.



The purple picture is all wool, but the bottom is a cotton background, pink wool and cotton print. 

This is the first time I've hand-appliqued cotton, whose edges must be turned under. I read about all sorts of techniques and finally came up with my own method of running a gathering stitch around all of the curves and drawing the thread up as the edges neatly wrap around the freezer paper template ironed to the back. After giving it a good steam press, I remove the freezer paper and sew it on with a single strand of embroidery floss and an invisible stitch. (I don't know what else to call the stitch that I use.)


Check out Ninamariesayre.blogspot.com to find out what other quilt artists have been doing this week.

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Robbie said...

Sue S. has some great patterns...and you're off to creating another 'great' quilt!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Ooh, this is going to be fun! Love your colors (no surprise there!), and can't wait to see progress reports. Happy stitching!

Norma Schlager said...

What a fun quilt this is going to be. You certainly won't get bored using all those happy colors and prints,