Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

October color block


Here are the pictures for my October block. They're heavy on gold, orange and reddish-orange leaves, plus some brilliant blue skies as well as grey clouds and fog. And the ever-present green of the Northwest.


Here are the fabrics I pulled out to pick up the colors in the photos. I realized that I hardly have any red in my stash, and what I have is too red-red to use. I like red in other people's quilts, but for my own work it's usually too bold and feels too aggressive.


Here is the finished block, minus the red leaves. I used yellow-orange thread for the quilting because that color seemed to predominate this month. Onward to November!


 Have a colorful day


3 comments:

sonja said...

Great block of color for October!
Mahalo for sharing your colourful treat!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I like it! I have some colors that I don't use a lot too, and red is one of them. Funny how I crave the red leaves though, this time of year...

The Idaho Beauty said...

Nice that you got so much strong blue sky in there. :-)