Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Color in Spokane


I visited my daughter in Spokane the past few days and was treated to some dramatic sunsets. This was the view from my hotel room the first night! I just love sunsets, but we can't see them from our house.


The same view the next morning revealed fall colors and reflections in the Spokane River.


We took a gondola ride out over the river to see the Spokane Falls.


Julia looked fine at the outset of the ride, but she was really nervous. Our gondola rocked, shuddered and hung for a long time over the falls.


Downtown is much bigger than I had imagined, and it was bustling on the weekend with families, couples, dog walkers, people whizzing by on electric scooters and the usual buzzing of city energy. 



We stopped at my daughter's vintage shop in Chosen, a vintage mall downtown. She has a nice selection of wicker, baskets, Mexican clothing and rugs, macrame, brass, etc.


But the real fun in Spokane is snuggling with the rabbits. Here I am with Bunners, who will be 12 years old next month. She came into Julia's life when Julia was a teen-ager, and now Julia is 30 and Bunners is still with her.


Charlie has a face you just have to love! 


Bailey was very interested in the cupcake container ...


... from these vegan cupcakes that were to die for. Chocolate espresso for me and pumpkin chocolate chip for Julia.


We also ate at a few Thai restaurants.


One night I just had a spinach stuffed pretzel at Barnes and Noble's while we read magazines. I miss having a B&N near my house in Gig Harbor. When we lived in Illinois, we had a B&N and a Border's just a few minutes away and I spent almost every evening at them reading and having a drink and a snack.


Julia had some vintage quilts and a jacket that were interesting. She gave me the thrifted jacket from India because I love the kantha stitching. It'll fit me if I lose about 20 pounds. 




This pink and white quilt is all hand stitched and beautifully soft and puckered.



A friend gave her this thrifted pink tied quilt covered with applique bunnies, who each have their name embroidered beside them. I wish I knew the story behind it.




Mornings at the hotel were spent stitching a winter table topper, with each tree cut from a different piece of green wool. Naturally, we hit up a few quilt stores where I bought more trim for my wool applique and drooled over some of the new Christmas projects but forgot to get pictures.


The trip started and ended with a sunset. Here is the sky as I awaited takeoff at the airport. A nice way to end a great trip!



Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Robbie said...

It certainly looks like you had a great visit and weekend with your daughter. Oh my..the sunset and sunrise pics are amazing...love the colors....and the jacket! WOW....love that stitching. I did a small sample when Linda Kemshall showed how to start a Kantha project! Love that jacket!!! lucky you!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing your pix...

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

My grandson moved to Oregon and spent a lot of time in Spokane before he decided to move a little south. Those sunrise/sunset pics are superb. I love those colors. Looks like some great shops in Spokane. Glad you had a good visit.
xx, Carol