Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, November 10, 2018

Emergency!


I survived two sewing emergencies this week with this one little candle mat project. First, I sewed the front (above) and the backing right sides together all around the scalloped edges. I forgot to cut a slit in the back for turning, but no problem. I took the scissors and snipped a little opening. Big problem! I cut the front.


So I appliqued a wool snowball right over that mistake. Onward.


I had the perfect wool/silk thread for embroidering a blanket stitch around the edge. Problem: I ran out halfway around. The nearest store that stocked that thread was the Quilted Strait in Port Gamble, 50 minutes away.


So first thing this morning I was on my way to my favorite quilt shop, where the sun was shining and I ran into two friends. And they had my thread in the right color.


Problem: Instead of just buying the thread for $5, this is what I came home with for $50. I'm sure you quilters can relate. But the fabric was all on sale, so that was good.


Port Gamble is always a fun little town to visit, and I ended up with a bagful of small Christmas gifts for friends and family before I hit the road for home.


Have a colorful day


7 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Every quilter's nightmare, that cutting through the top accidentally. Great solution!

Every quilter's downfall, that running short of something, heading to the quilt shop and coming home with way more than one anticipated. At least it was a beautiful day, you met friends and made the most of the trip.

I'd call this a win win win!

sonja said...

Nice save!
At first glance i thought you were making a tree skirt.i would have probably used another color i had at home and missed seeing friends....

Susan Sawatzky said...







Gee, next time you go on a roadtrip to Port Gamble, let me know....I'll meet you there> Takes me about 50 minutes too!







Gee

Susan Sawatzky said...

That didn't work very well did it. I'm not an unknown, this is Susan Sawatzky in Port Townsend. that was my comment above.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Yikes! Glad you were able to overcome the (almost) disaster, and gee... 50 minutes to get to a store full of goodies? That's almost a given here! Sounds like all ended well, good for you!

lorrwill said...

LOL! Oh yes, I can absolutely relate to the too good to pass up deals on supplies.

Robbie said...

Well, you recovered well from that 'oops'!!! No one would ever know! Looks like you still enjoyed the drive!!! Have to have a reward, which was your purchases (minus the thread!)...ha