Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, February 21, 2019

STITCH: Carol's antique quilts


Our STITCH meeting had to be rescheduled to this week because of last week's snow, and the only people who made it this week were Carol and me. But since Carol was hosting, I got treated to a showing of some of her antique quilts, and she served freshly made banana bread and we managed to talk for the usual two hours!


The colors on the quilts are vibrant and full of life. The hand quilting stitches are so tiny, but it also didn't feel like there was batting. That would make it easier to take tiny stitches. They must have been summer quilts.


This log cabin is one of my favorites because of the exuberant colors and mix of prints.



But the most special quilts were these next two, which Carol's mother and grandmother made for her. Some of the fabric is from her old clothing.







Carol's current project is this wavy arc quilt, which I also love for the colors and movement.


And what would a special day be without silver sequined slippers? That's Carol, not me.

QUESTION: I'm experimenting with using larger text to make it easier to read. Comments? Is this helpful?


 Have a colorful day





4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I like the larger text. I love Carol's wavy arc quilt. And you can never show me too many antique quilts!

Luann Fischer said...

The larger text is appreciated by my ‘mature’ eyes. I always enjoy reading about your get togethers and seeing the antique quilts was another good one.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Lovely quilts! I really admire quilts, especially those from an earlier era when they were hand quilted. I remember pictures of my paternal grandmother and her quilting group seated around the dining table, stitching on a quilt... amazing work!
As for the text, larger is nice, and the color in your example stands out better from the background, I'm thinking.

JudyC said...

Thanks for sharing Carol’s great Quilts. Sounds like a very relaxing day. Have a great time in Sedona. Look forward to hearing about your adventures there. We’re headed to Scottsdale for a week.