Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Spokane: Julia, bunnies and the Quilting Bee


I made the six-hour drive to Spokane last Friday to visit my daughter and the bunnies. I saw some spectacular skies on the east side of the Cascades once I got into high desert country. I love big skies, which are something I don't see enough of here because of all the tall trees. I also made the usual stop at the Cle Elum Bakery for a raspberry jelly donut.


Here's the story behind this wicker chest that I delivered to Julia. It was made to order about 30 years ago for a friend whose family was stationed with the Air Force in the Philippines. She had it made to hold her bed linens and towels, but she didn't want to take it with her when they left Kansas so she gave it to me. I love wicker, and for decades it held (some of) my fabric. As Julia grew up, she also began to love wicker and lusted after this cabinet. 

Since I'll be downsizing in the next year now that I'm a family of one, I passed it on to her. A family heirloom! She has a big collection of wicker that she sells in her etsy shop, Desertspring Vintage, but she won't be selling the chest.


Once I made it into her house, the first order of business was to hold little Bunners. She'll be 13 years old in December and is so frail and tired now.


Dilly and Charlie are bonded and rarely leave each other. They're both very gentle with Bunners.


Look at the cool rock that her friend found in Spokane and gave to me! It's from Tacoma, so it made it all the way across the state and back again.



I also went to a quilting store in the Spokane Valley, the Quilting Bee, which has one of the friendliest staffs I've ever encountered. They welcomed me immediately, asked if I wanted a tour (yes please), offered me coffee (no thanks) and generally were super nice. 


They even had a man cave called "The Bunkhouse" complete with lounge chairs, a big TV, manly magazines and posters, a fridge and pretzels. 


It was a short visit, and the last night we walked out in front of her house to watch the sunset turn the clouds over the ravine pink and lavender. The Sunday drive home stretched to almost seven hours because of weekend traffic returning back to the Seattle area. The Cle Elum Bakery was totally out of donuts (!) so I had to buy a flat of cinnamon rolls. I did it.



 Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the wicker cabinet! Nice that you can pass it on to Julia... wicker rules! And I love the rock... makes me want to try acrylic pours on rocks... I have a few boulders lying around, and the paints. Hmmmm!!
Sweet Bunners... definitely looking frail, poor dear. Hope you got in lots of hugs.

Vivian Helena said...

thank you for your words of encouragement on my blog. I love seeing your art work, travels,quilting and of course the bunnies. Maybe one day, after we finish downsizing and and we will trade in the llamas, for bunnies.
hugs, vivian