Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, October 4, 2019

Colors of Spokane



The first thing that greeted me when I got to my daughter's house in Spokane this week for a short visit was an array of special snacks with a heavy emphasis on chocolate! Up above was a most colorful fish mobile. (She gets her love of chocolate and color from me.)


Then I went straight to the living room, where Julia settled me on the couch with a couple of rabbits. They are so snuggly and affectionate, I could've stayed there for hours. In fact, much of the visit was spent snuggling with the bunnies.




The next morning I awoke in a very colorful bedroom, complete with vintage sheets on the bed and my tiny house quilt on the wall. She also has a hot pink shower curtain (with pompoms) in the bathroom, which casts a warm pink glow throughout the room when the sun shines in.


The next day, we set off for a drive in the rolling countryside with a stop at a pumpkin farm. There is an association of farms there called Green Bluff Growers, and a lot of them are geared up for fall activities.


I had a bag of warm pumpkin donuts and coffee and Julia had some herbal tea out on the patio at one of the farms. It was chilly, and with the sun going in and out of the clouds it felt very fall like.


That night we had pizzas at one of our standard stops, Allie's Vegan Pizzeria and Cafe. We started with vegan, gluten-free (for Julia) breadsticks dipped in a delicious garlic sauce, followed up by my Italian pizza and her mushroom one. It was all topped off with mouth watering fall spice cupcakes, but I forgot to get a photo.


The fall colors continued at the Quilting Bee, where I scooped up some fat quarters of Grunge fabric in red, orange and gold. And, of course, I had to get some yellow-green because that's my favorite color.

Last but not least, she put together two of our photos from the past, her at age 15 and me at 25. See any similarities?


Now I'm back home and ready to face the rainy season with a new quilting project, a pumpkin by the front door and the ingredients to make pumpkin chocolate chip bread this weekend.

Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

OMG, Bunny heaven! That had to be the best, snuggling those sweeties! And I must say, I would fit right in at your daughters' place. The top sheet is in the colors I adore! And yes, the photos of you two are cut from the same cloth... amazing!
Glad you have a nice quilt project lined up, although I have seen reports that the northwest isn't supposed to have a heavy winter this year. Still, it is bound to feel like winter, so best to be ready, right? Enjoy!

Robbie said...

You are so fortunate to spend time with your daughter...mine lives 22 miles from me but with her work and travel, hard to get with her...boo hoo. Love the snuggles from the bunnies!!! And the pizza looks great...how many treats did you leave behind! HA

Lynda said...

What a fun and yummy visit. So precious time you are spending with your daughter. Love the pic of the two of you and then the old one. Glad you had such a wonderful time.

Norma Schlager said...

It looks like a fabulous weekend, bunnies, daughter, art, pumpkin flavored food.....what could be better!