Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Colors of Port Gamble


Not only did I get to enjoy Paula's garden last weekend (see previous post), but the next day I went to Port Gamble and saw its gorgeous dahlia garden. The closeups show the incredible designs of these flowers, and the rain drops were an added bonus.


The garden is maintained by the Kitsap County Dahlia Society. Here are just a few more flowers.









There were also some cheerful yellow flowers outside of the quilt shop, The Quilted Strait. The shop is in an old stable building.


I'm working on this starry winter night quilt right now, but I might leave out all but one house and put in more trees.


I bought a little pile of splashy floral prints plus some text fabric. The black and white print on the bottom will be the sky in the winter quilt.


And I finally found Kathy Doughty's latest book, "Organic Applique." When I saw her in person at the Gossypium quilt shop last year (field-trip-gossypium-kathy-doughty-and.html) I asked about her applique process and she said it would all be explained in her new book, so I'm excited to have it.


And you know me, there has to be some food involved. So after we hit the quilt shop and dahlia garden, my friend Sherry and I headed over to have lunch at the Butcher and Baker. The baked goods are incredible! I got a large piece of apple slab pie to take home, and Sherry got a chocolate mint brownie.


For lunch, I had a grilled veggie sandwich and potato salad that was enough for two full meals. Sherry had a big salad.



Have a colorful day



4 comments:

sonja said...

fabulous flowers,fabrics,food shared with a friend..
Who could ask for anything more!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Amazing pictures! And you're right... that lunch looks like at least 2 meals. Bet it was tasty! The book looks like it will be very inspiring... hope your thumb is feeling better so you can try some of her ideas. And the quilt pattern is charming! I think more trees and fewer houses will work just fine. Winter in the high country! Have fun...

Robbie said...

Well, you know how I feel about those food pics! YUM, YUM!!! Sandwich looks delicious. BUT I can't stop going back and forth looking at the flower pictures. They are WONDERFUL!!!! Such beauty...such inspiration!!!!! Thanks for sharing those!!!

Edith Bieri-Hanselmann said...

Hi Sherrie
The Pictures of the flowers are geourgous. Love them so much. Have a great week.
Edith